Eileen Kraus, a 2002 Inductee into the Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame, was the first woman to head a major regional financial institution, and was the founding Chairman of the Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame Board of Trustees. She believed in women leaders, and her legacy demonstrates her commitment to mentoring women and advancing the causes that most affect them. On behalf of the Kraus family, we are pleased to honor her legacy today with the Eileen Kraus Scholarship Fund, and help ensure that the next generation of women leaders are able to follow the trail she so capably blazed.
The Eileen Kraus Scholarship
The Eileen Kraus Scholarship was established in 2016 in partnership with Kaman Corporation. The scholarship will award $5,000 each year to an outstanding Connecticut woman beginning her first year of college or university.
Eligible Applicants must be:
- Female students currently residing in Connecticut
- Recent high school graduates or in the final year of secondary school
- Intending to enroll in first year of college or university
- Able to attend the Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Hartford, CT for recognition (2018 recipient to be recognized at the 25th Annual Induction Ceremony in November 2018)
2018 Application Checklist & Timeline
- Completed application form. (No submissions will be accepted without this form.)
- A scanned copy of your unofficial high school transcript and a two-page essay (see essay prompt details below).
- Your weighted GPA and current class rank.
- An email address that you check regularly (not school-based).
- All applications and materials are due by February 15, 2018.
- Application form must be submitted by and all materials must be written by the applicant.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Applications will be reviewed by CWHF staff and the Kraus family, with a decision to be announced by March 31, 2018.
Note: Once submitted, application materials and essays become property of the Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame and cannot be returned.
2018 Essay Details
Your essay should be a maximum of two pages (or 1,000 words) and should respond to this question:
Among the 118 Inductees of the Hall, who do you find most inspiring, and how do you see the legacy of this woman reflected in your own goals?
Our 2017 Eileen Kraus Scholarship Winner:
The Hall is pleased to announce the winner of the first $5,000 Eileen Kraus Scholarship, Nina Bellusci! Nina was a 2017 graduate of Academy of Information Technology & Engineering in Stamford, CT.
Nina’s application was chosen from among 147 candidates from across the state. Her essay on Inductee Dorrit Hoffleit, a famed astronomer, showcased her research and writing ability, while introducing us to her own love of aerospace engineering and astronomy.
Nina now attends Northeastern University and is majoring in mechanical engineering with a focus in aerospace and a minor in astronomy.
Donations to the fund in Eileen's memory may also be made via PayPal, check or credit card:
The Eileen Kraus Scholarship
c/o The Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame
320 Fitch St
New Haven, CT 06515
Or make a gift over the phone: (203) 392-9007