Hannah Bunce Watson (1750-1807)
Publisher of The Hartford Courant, one of the first female newspaper publishers in America (Inducted 1994)
This picture of The Hartford Courant Building was taken to commemorate the role of Hannah Bunce Watson in its history as publisher during a critical juncture. Watson took over the newspaper, known then as the Connecticut Courant, with the death of her husband; she ran it with George Goodwin starting in 1777. Less than a month later, the mill that supplied paper to the newspaper was torched by Tory sympathizers, leaving Watson and Goodwin in an almost untenable position. Watson teamed up with Sarah Ledyard, the mill’s co-owner, and together they petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to rebuild. They succeeded and the paper never missed an issue. The Hartford Courant Building is located at 285 Broad Street in Hartford.
The Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame Historic Site Survey project was funded through generous grants from: